Thursday, June 18, 2015

Mbola Tsara!

Wow! What a start to this trip! I apologize for not updating this. Im sitting in Hellvile at a restaurant where there is WiFi, so I can actually update this. If I have time before my teaching today I probably will go buy data from one of the many orange shops in Hellvile.

I love the teaching program! The kids (mostly) are well behaved and the village where I am teaching is really cool. There are lots of food to buy and lots of cool handcarved items. Everything is handmade and sew and pretty cheap too! Today I'm teaching the staff at the CNRO (the oceanographic institute) and kids at a school on Nosy Be. The other village is on Nosy Komba and is just a short hike over the rocks and beach.

I'm making lots of friends at camp and have two French Canadian and a Scottish roommates. I have to speak mostly English in class but I have speaking French with some people at camp. I think of a bunch of us are going to go to Nosy Be this weekend and explore the island,and maybe go to a place known for seeing turtles. I have yet to see a lemur but when I do I'll have either camera with me.

The food is really good at camp and we get meat or fish everyday, which is also really good. I had some doughnut like stuff in the village for really cheap (200 Ariary) where was also the place that I found they have as low as 100 Ariary (I will try to bring back some with me for collecting)

This trip so far has been incredible and a true culture shock. I learned like 70% of the country lives on less than 2 dollars a day. I have been learning some Malagasy phrases to help me look less like a vazahar (white person, not sure if I spelled it right).

A plus tard,

Samuel

No comments:

Post a Comment